Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Can you e-mail me now?

Monday morning we got back on line after a week without DSL service. According to the Verizon Customer Service folks, they upgraded the DSL hardware in our neighborhood on Monday November 6. Sometime that night or early Tuesday, the software crashed on our local switch. After spending 90 minutes on the phone Tuesday, we got service back on Thursday morning, only to loose it in the afternoon.

In the course of this travail, I worked my way up the customer service chain to the regional supervisor. She was very well trained and quick on her feet during the course of the conversation. She also put the utmost urgency on the service ticket. But dealing with Verizon late on a Thursday afternoon that means it's too late for the next business day.

So, Monday morning the Verizon tech arrived at 8:30 just after the piano teacher. He had us up and running in about 30 minutes once he got through telephone triage to the technical people who reset the software. Then one of the other techs I spoke with last week called me to follow up! I really appreciated that and told him so. Too bad he had a cold that day.

OK, so I was not particularly happy with Verizon, but with Comcast as the alternative I choose the lesser of two evils.

...now if I could only find my Palm Pilot...

No comments: