It snowed six inches since last night, so today was a snow day, for most kids except ours, that is. In fact because most activities were canceled, today we had extra time for school lessons. Most homeschooled kids don't get snow days. Instead they get time off on nice days when it is sunny and warm, or have impromptu field trips when the opportunities present themselves.
After lunch we all took a break to shovel the driveway. Sarah and Janine helped clear the snow from the lower driveway. Because that area is square shaped and flat, it is the hardest part to shovel. I used the U-shaped contraption pictured here. It works pretty well as long as there is less than six inches of snow, so it was at the edge of its effectiveness today.
Pushing the curved end first, it works like a plow. Then you use the open end to precisely move the remaining snow to the side of the driveway so long as it is a short distance. With more than nine of snow the open end fills up fast. At that point we use the shovel and just slow down, shoveling a section at a time, taking breaks in between.
The forecast for tonight is for "Wintry Mix." Two words I hate to see used together because it usually means ice. I would rather shovel six inches of snow than deal with 1/4 inch of ice.
1 comment:
sure looks like it was cold. wish I had weather like that. all the weather does here is look bad
S.A.P.
Post a Comment