Friday, July 15, 2011

All Hail the Fluidmaster!


...or the latest thing to break around here.

The toilet in the kid's bathroom started running yesterday afternoon. After we caught it (insert groan here), I determined that the fill valve was broken and would not shut off. So I just turned off the water feed, turning it back on occasionally to flush and fill.

I delayed the project to this afternoon so we could all have dinner before everyone else left for the Harry Potter movie last night. This morning I needed to get some work done.

Thankfully I found the broken fill valve was the ubiquitous Fluidmaster 400A. The web is replete with how-to videos detailed everything about it, except what you need to know. After a lunchtime trip to Home Depot and $7.50, I was ready to plumb.

Naturally not everything works out neatly. I had to replace the feed tube. Our old plumber liked to custom cut, fit and flare his feed tubes. It was a craftsman's touch in a place where no one could see it. This piece of Y2K era customization was just a bit too long for the new Fluidmaster 400A. So I checked my box of old plumbing parts and voila! there was an old flex tube. But I don't like the way it fits, so it will be back to Home Depot this weekend for a new one. In the meantime, the fluids have been mastered.

No comments: