Yes, there it is, the pot of chili that cost me $200.
This past Saturday we had our winter boy's club event in which the boys cooked dinner for their families. They made chili, and corn muffins at the Doyle's while the other families brought salad and dessert. John and I volunteered to bring a "pot of red" that might have a little more zing than the chili the boys were making.
Chili tastes better the next day, so I made ours Friday evening. We followed a recipe that sounded pretty good and I selected because I thought we had the ingredients. Foolish me.
The precise power behind the recipe was a tablespoon of cumin, four tablespoons of mild chili powder, and four of hot chili powder. (Might I add that I love my wife and am proud of her culinary skills including how she stocks our pantry.) Indeed it appeared that we had all the proper spices until Bobbie came in and saw them.
"How much of this did you put in?" she asked while pointing to what I thought was the hot chili powder.
"Three tablespoons. I wasn't sure about the recipe and wanted to adjust the seasoning."
"Oh no! I only use that chili powder to keep the deer away from the roses in the garden! I think it's mismarked cayenne."
At this point the chili tasted like the deer would indeed stay away from it, as well as any sane person.
"You can't serve this tomorrow night unless we do something." So I did something. Because I had not yet added anything else, I drained the meat which removed the fat as well as some of the heat. Later we added a quart of homemade tomato sauce and some peanut butter. Both added depth to the flavors making the chili more than edible. (Even later I had a bowl as a midnight snack.)
Now, what to do with the drainage. Addled by the spiciness, I dumped it down the sink.
In 70 degree weather I might have gotten away with it, but at zero, forget it.
Saturday morning my cell phone rang while taking the kids to ballet.
"Did you notice water backing up in the basement before you left?"
"No. Is it now?"
"Yes, it is. I will call the plumber. Do you have his number?"
"Of course I don't."
Our new plumber arrived at 2 PM as we were the third in line Saturday. Bill for services rendered- $200.
- 30 -
1 comment:
May I suggest http://www.penzeys.com
for the best spices around (that are properly labeled).
The various chili and Taco spices are great but try the cassia cinnamon if you want a truly eye opening experience.
DBJ
Post a Comment