Friday, July 04, 2008

4th of July Parade

When I was a boy growing up in Omaha there were a lot of kids in the neighborhood born as I was at the height of the baby boom in the mid 1950s. Every 4th of July we would gather together and march around the block banging toy drums, hooting recorders and blowing whistles to celebrate our nation's independence while wearing three cornered hats fashioned out of newspaper.

Here is a photo of the older of my two sisters as she joined us for the first time. I can't tell what section she is wearing, sports or business, but I think the year is 1963.

She was probably fast asleep by dusk when the fathers around the block would set off fireworks in the large undeveloped back lot. My favorite thing was when the gathered crowd would count the balls on the roman candles. One!...Two!...Three!...etc.

All these activities did not necessarily teach us about the significance of the date and the reasons for it, but when I read that John Adams predicted Independence Day would be celebrated with fireworks and parades, I am proud to know that we continue in that tradition to this day. Come dusk tonight this father will be setting off fountains and roman candles for his brood in this great country of ours.

No comments: