Thursday, July 26, 2007

What happens when you unplug the TV

Two weeks ago Bobbie and I were upset with the kids over excessive TV viewing. Janine was getting herself up at 6:00 AM to turn it on. Sarah and John were spending all afternoon in front of a melange of Cartoon Network, Disney Channel and Nickelodeon. Nothing wrong with any of those channels. But they are like Twinkies, one won't kill you, but a too many are not healthy.

So we took "drastic" action. We calmly disconnected the TV and declared a TV hiatus. It's been quite nice to have a lower noise level around the house and to see the kids playing outside again.

Yesterday morning took the cake, or pie if you prefer. Sarah was bored so she open Nana's 1940s vintage Betty Crocker cookbook and made a peach pie. Bobbie bought a peck of peaches Sunday. (I have no letter P alliteration jokes here but I wish I did.)

You see the result in the lower photo. Sarah peeled the peaches, made the crust with butter and shortening, baked the pie, and helped herself to a piece for lunch. So did the rest of us.

Today when Sarah asked when we could reconnect the TV, I paused and thought about what other wonderful things she might cook if it stayed disconnected...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't watch those tv shows I watch E!, vh1, mtv, bet