Monday, June 06, 2011

Cascading failures - Part One


If our house was a space ship we would be in "Houston, we have a problem" mode. Two weeks ago our high-end washing machine failed after only five years of service. Then last Monday our hot water heater pilot light would not relight. So I was off to the nearby YMCA for a shower.

"YOUNG MAN...you can get yourself clean... It's fun to stay a the Y M C A..."

Tuesday morning the GE repairman arrived and pronounced the washer motor dead. "It's $275 for the part and you already have $80 for the service call, but I can give you a $100 coupon to buy a new one online. I recommend taking that $100 it's pretty good."

"No. That's really only $20 isn't it?" I replied. He didn't like that one. He went on to tell us that the motor failed because "People don't read the instructions. You shouldn't leave the lid open when it's running."

"Where does it say that in the instructions?" I asked, getting more irritated by the moment. "Everybody opens the lid on a washer. If I had known that in the store, I wouldn't have bought it!"

"Naah, they are right under the lid. Where does it say to open the lid when it's running?" was his riposte. Clever one, that yinzer.

"Well, it doesn't say NOT to and besides, if the washer is running with the lid down, I can't exactly see that can I?" More scowls.

He went on to belittle stainless steel tubs as "extra cost you don't really need." Oh did I say we have one? Clearly he didn't care.

GE...hmmm, as we think about replacements, we can forget about that brand. What we really need are a bunch of guys in white short-sleeve shirts with skinny ties and pocket protectors. Especially when you read the next installment.

No comments: