Saturday, October 09, 2010

Good Fit


After John and I got the roof rack installed, I was impressed by its sturdiness and robustness. When we got out the Thule box I was even more so.

On the old car the racks were only 23 inches on center. It used a clamping system that attached to the top of the door openings.

The new car is a generous 32 inches wide on center using on a bolt-in system. This means a very stable mounting. In fact the rack is so wide we had to drill new holes. The widest setting for the existing mounting holes was not wide enough by at least an inch.

Most importantly, this was the first year John helped me install the Thule. In years past I had to wrangle that thing by itself. While it is not heavy, it sure is bulky and hard to manage in even the lightest breeze or through doors. Now with John's help, it's an easy five minute job at most.

Getting everything in there? Ah! That's more an art than a science.

No comments: