Wednesday, August 19, 2009

The Earl Scheib of driveways


Please have patience with me on this one...

Late one afternoon last week I went outside to get the mail and there was a truck with a trailer full of tar behind it. The little man next to the truck asked me if I would like to have my driveway sealed. He added that he would give me a good price because he was sealing two of my neighbors driveways. (Most driveways in this part of the country are asphalt.)

"I don't know. Let me think about it. I have some work to finish."

"Well I can see that you recently resurfaced your driveway but look, here are some cracks. When did you have this done, two years ago?

"Why yes. But I have to get back to work. I have a conference call in 10 minutes." (True)

"Look, I will give you the same price as your neighbors, $X."

"Great, but I need to wait until the boss gets home. She's the one with the checkbook. Besides, I gotta get back to work."

"No problem! I can do it for you for $X-50."

"Fine, but..."

"When she gets home tell her $x-75. Can you call her?"

"No. (True, Sarah had her cell phone) I already have people waiting for me on the phone." (Partly true)

By this point I am beginning to think that if I stay at this long enough, he would eventually pay me to seal my driveway! The conference call went well and Bobbie came home about 45 minutes later. We agreed that the driveway DID need to be sealed and the price was good (estimated cost of materials plus $50-75).

When we told the guy we wanted him to seal the driveway, he asked me what price he quoted. I told him the truth then Bobbie asked if there was a cash discount. I was not suprised when he said yes and we got another $50 off. It was 5 PM.

That evening at 7PM there was a parents meeting about youth group at church. I went to it in Bobbie's stead while she cooked dinner and held forth with the drivewaymen.

When I returned the driveway cracks had been sealed, but the job was unfinished. Bobbie told me she gave them some of the cash in the understanding they would return tomorrow.

"YOU DID WHAT???"

"Well we do have the guy's card and they just ran out of sealer. They will be back at noon Friday."

"YOU DID?? Fair enough..."

They didn't show up until 2 PM Friday after Bobbie called him. But he finished and did a good job...on the driveway part.

Now you may wonder about the title of this post. But as I was dealing with him all I could think of were the old Earl Scheib ads featuring a photo of Earl with a voice ballon saying "I will paint your car for $29.95" (1974 prices) So this guy will seal my driveway for $x-175. (But you better keep asking.)

Those in the know said that if you left you windows down, Earl's crew would paint the interior of your car too. As you can see on the edge of the driveway, we got the grass, myrtle and daylilies for free.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: