Monday, October 23, 2006

Birthday Cake


Our family tradition is to celebrate birthdays twice. First, we open gifts and cards on the birth day itself. Then at Sunday dinner following the birth day, we have sing and have cake.

Here's Janine with her seventh birthday cake from last night. (To be clear, this is the one cake with which we celebrated her seventh birthday. We didn't have seven cakes.) It's hard to see, but there is a small nutcracker soldier next to the letter "J."

We almost missed having the cake. The bakery had scheduled the cake to be picked up on Saturday at noon. As it turned out, Saturday was very busy with Nutcracker rehearsals and seasonal upkeep at Nana's house. So despite the fact that the bakery is 100 yards from the ballet studio, less than a mile from Nana's house, and we drove past it five times that day, both Bobbie and I forgot about it. That is until the bakery called and left a message at 3:00 to remind us. I called them back at 3:50 when we got home and hurried back over right away. The bakery ladies stayed at the store fifteen minutes past closing so I could pick up the cake. They are so good to us when we pick up doughnuts every Thursday, I guess this act of kindness should not suprise me. Either way I thanked them profusely. They kept us on track for a happy birthday Sunday dinner. Posted by Picasa

No comments: